Thika Road Buses are subjecting Githurai passengers to a daily time bomb!

It is deeply sad and with great pain to narrate this story of the rot in the bus service industry that ply the Thika Super high way in Nairobi Kenya all the way to Githurai that is several kilometers from the Central Business District. I mean I cannot simply believe, up to now, when I got on a bus as I was leaving from work on the evening of 16th April 2012 what I encountered. I jumped to a bus that was literary full of Marijuana smoke as if it was one of the backstreet films I once watched of Jamaica Kingston town. I was among the first passengers to get on the bus and we struggled not only to get space as it was rush hour but also to seat at the windows so that we could catch some breadth. As if not enough for I could not suspect that the driver nor the conductor were the ones abusing this drug, something peculiar happened. The driver began shouting to the top if his voice like a person who had gone completely bananas. He was simply telling the passengers to get in and pay fifty Kenya shillings other than seventy that was the norm. Something was taking the toll of his consciousness and judgement. He simply got away with that easily and, we, the passengers seem to be impressed by that. I was quick to notice another peculiar move that was beyond normal parameters of a driver. Despite the fact that the lady conductor was pretty much at the back of the bus, the driver kept communicating with her as she also replied to the top of her voice and you could easily see how she spat saliva to innocent people in the name of answering back. Things did not stop at that for they later picked an argument that led to the stop of the journey a couple of times and I will tell you the breaking and the over speeding was just enough to make me, if not the rest of the flabbergasted passengers swear in the name of the Lord never to travel again. This game went on and on as the bus did its cruising and bending on every side of the road. And no one seem to care on the fact that it was also overloaded and the driver's stupid jokes filled the air. I felt a jerk in my heart as people laughed at has sozzled humor as he practical plunged into ditches and blocked a couple of vehicles on the road. This is when I confirmed my worst fears that these buses normally have accidents weekly where many have lost their lives and others gone injured badly for a common reason. This went even sour when they went past a police officer who tried to stop them frantically, which I later understood that wanted to chuck some money out of them than enforcing the law.
Honestly, there should be some sanity on this road for the way we arrived is upon God's mercy because this bus driver plus the conductor were in a clear mission to destroy the lives of many innocent passengers and it dawned on me that many accidents in Kenya super high way are caused by careless driving. It is also sad for no one could mention a thing despite my voiceless efforts to state that God-have-mercy-upon people were under the influence of an illegal stuff. A stuff that can cause not only their lives but others too.
Wow! Can we just have someone file an investigative report or write news on this road because we shall be dancing and celebrating the Kenya super high way on one hand whereas juggling with careless driving that cause unwanted deaths on the other hand. That is why we have 'Arrive alive' campaign. Someone should just watch out for these careless driving buses that I swear I will never travel with.They are smoking it in broad day light and that is more than just why we are having accident in Githurai Thika road!

Comments

Anonymous said…
io ni yako.wewe umechanganikiwa na ulipanda gari za meru not githurai..unachoma tu picha.nkt
News Flash said…
It is laughable anyway!
Anonymous said…
i don't think the writer portrayed the true picture on the Githurai buses. i travel with them each day and they are not anything close to what he has said. do not try finding cheap publicity by bedeviling others. that is not responsible journalism!